We recognize wellness as an essential pillar of education. Our in-school extracurricular programming can enrich students' learning given the positive outcomes that an active lifestyle early in life can have including but not limited to improved attention, emotional regulation and protection for mental health from childhood into adulthood. As an afterschool program, we provide parents/caregivers with busy lives a safe and meaningful space where their children can engage in fun fitness/movement activities and are encouraged to develop healthy lifestyle habits. We recognize that parents who grew up in an earlier era and recall a more “unplugged” childhood can find it hard to help their children who are digitally attached to be active and have balanced lives. We provide student participants with information handouts to take home on exercise and movement activities to encourage fitness beyond the school walls; on breathing exercises to help focus the mind and body; on healthy sleep habits/routines, on setting boundaries and limits around Internet use and more.
Our programs are facilitated by professional certified Personal Trainers and Registered Early Childhood Educators (RECE) with special needs training. Our facilitators have experience working with children with a variance in abilities and possess up to date CPR and Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Clearance). Instructors are HIGH FIVE® certified which assist them in working with children's programs in the sport and recreation industry. Our staff: child ratio ensures excellent supervision and care.
We have a list of options from which to choose should your school/child-care centre desire to have us offer Bee-nastics to your student and parent population.
- Run a demonstration of one of our programs to a small group of students or toddlers and their caregivers for no cost during the school day (morning or afternoon).
- Run a morning and/or afternoon of sessions for the kindergarten (JK/SK) students grouping by classrooms for a reduced cost.
- Run a morning or afternoon session at EarlyON child and family centres or drop-in child-care centres for toddlers and their caregivers for a reduced cost.
- Run a ‘wellness day’ for the school by offering sessions throughout the school day to all students grouping by grades per session at a reduced cost.
- Run an eight-week after-school program one day of the week for 60-minutes for the kindergarten students (JK/SK) in the fall, winter, and/or spring term.*
- Run an eight-week program at EarlyON child and family centres or drop-in child-care centres one day of the week for 45-minutes for toddlers and their caregiver in the fall, winter, and/or spring term.*
*Children that participate in the term programs receive a Bee-nastics t-shirt, weekly sticker, and certificate of completion of a term. Lessons compose of a variety of fun repetitious activities, with one new activity introduced each day to keep it challenging for children. New lessons are added each term to keep the classes relevant to the needs of the students, current with best practices and research and to keep them evolving where we will potentially be able to reach more students and help instill lasting healthy lifestyle habits.
Click here for YouTube video
Our programs are in line with new research on physical activity and brain health that shows that sedentary children and youth may be at a higher risk of experiencing symptoms of anxiety, and may struggle more than their more active peers when performing cognitive tasks (ParticipACTION, 2018 Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth). We aim to address the ongoing concerns a sedentary lifestyle has on our children as evident in a recent score of D+ for overall physical activity (ParticipACTION, 2018 Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth).
Online Resources -->